Australian Shepherd Questions

Posted by Site Visitors

Bookmark and Share

Australian Shepherd

Australian Shepherd Questions

A Visitor asked the following question on 1/12/2005
I have a 5 year old Beautiful Black Tri Male that is NSD Registered with one AKC registered parent. I was told by the breader that this was an acceptable registry but wasn't too concerned when I purchased the puppy as I had only intended on him being a pet. Have since decided that I would like to raise some puppies (mostly for family but might want to sell the extras) and have been shopping for a suitable mate. I wanted to see if I could get my male registered with AKC or ASCA but was turned down by both. What do I do now?

Date Reply Member
2/5/05 Unfortunately, you can do nothing now. I would not recommend breeding your male. I would have him neutered and keep him as a treasured pet. AKC and ASCA papers are very important. You need to find a reputable breeder. Sorry you had to learn a painful lesson, I was in this same boat 6 years ago when I bought my first Aussie. Presta Presta
Barnstormer's Australian Shepherds
10/30/05 You could find a mate that is NSDR registered, and register the offspring with NSDR. You cannot get the litter registered with AKC or ASCA. Dorothy
Kootenai Australian Shepherds
12/4/05 There is nothing wrong with NSDR. They are a long time established breed registry. Find a mate and get her registered with NSDR. That will be easier. OR you can get his hips and eyes certified, and get him registered with NAMASCUSA, and find a NAMASCUSA mate. Judy
Rocking 2R Ranch